1946 Chevy 2-Ton Truck Restoration 2018-11-01T19:51:14+00:00

Truck Bio
I purchased my truck in Woodland California in December of 1998, while visiting family for Christmas. It was owned by a man who had used it in his asphalt paving business for a couple of years. He had hoped to restore it but realized that the time and interest just wasn’t there. Not wanting to run it to its death he sold it to me with the agreement that I would restore it.

I spent four hours with a friend reworking the wiring for the 300 mile trip to my house near San Luis Obispo, CA. The truck had hardly been driven the past six months so I talked my friend into joining me for the maiden voyage and at 5pm on December 30th we were off…..Seven hours later we arrived with the only two minor problem s to report. First, the windshield wiper did not work, so we had to reach out and wipe off the mist and fog with a towel (Thank god for crank out windshields). Secondly, the non-existent cab insulation left both of us voiceless after seven hours of talking over engine and road noise.

I drove the truck around town and to school for a year and a half making only minor repairs necessary to keep it safely on the road. Then I decided to change its registration to non-op status and tear it down for the frame off restoration.

1946 Chevrolet 2-Ton
Vehicle ID#: 6PW-L5908 (6400 Model)
Rear Axle: PG 1028 (Single Speed)
Engine: Originally 216, Replaced with 235 modified.
Wheels: 8.25 x 20
Brownie Box: 3-Speed (Not Original)
Dump Hoist: Crysteel PTO driven (Not Original)

Truck as Purchased
This is what my truck looked like after I drove it home. I added a makeshift flatbed to carry a spare and some tools. I also had to add the temporary mudflaps to meet CHP requirements.

 

  

Parts Truck
This is a 1946 1 ½ Ton that I use for parts. It had not run for 10 years and was being used as a mouse motel. The engine had been left open and was water logged, frozen, and rusted out. The majority of the cab was rusted through at the usual spots. Many of the trim items were still there though, as well as a working windshield regulator, steering box, and other small parts. I am also hoping to modify the front fenders into rear fenders for my truck.
 

Sandblasting/Painting the Frame
The frame before, during, and after sand blasting. Lots of dirt, rust, grease, and asphalt had to come off. I did the frame in two stages (first the rear, then the front) to make it easier to move around.

  

Rear End
Single Speed Rear end.

  

 

Front End
I only have disassembly shots of this part. I got lazy with the camera for a bit.

  

Dump Hoist
I purchased a used hoist mechanism. The subframe and mounting brackets I made, as well as running all new hydraulic lines and fittings. I run the pump off of the brownie box P.T.O. I have yet to make the linkage for the hoist controls to the cab.
 

Removing the Original Engine

The original engine was a stock 216.

 

The New Engine
I bought a recently rebuilt 235 with dual intake and exhaust, cam, new clutch, and new starter. I repainted it, added an HEI unit from Langdon’s, along with a heated riser for the intake, new alternator, dual action fuel pump, and fuel lines.

 

 

Brownie Box
This is the three speed splitter “brownie” box with PTO to drive the dump hoist.

 

Removing the Cab and Body Panels

This was the cab and body panel removal. That is me sitting on the rolling chassis for a dinner break, and standing next to the cab for removal. My friend Ben is standing next to the removed cab (he has helped A LOT on this project).

  

  

Work in Progress